Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Safety Dance.

Safety Dance.


     On the morning of January 25, 2010, the students of Nashua High School South got some interesting news. As we study for mid-terms that we will be having for the next few days, our teachers tell us about the new Mp3 policy. When in classes, the teacher can decided to deny or give us the opportunity to listen to our music as we work. In the halls, we are allowed to have one bud in as we transfer classes.

     In the past, the policy has been that no Mp3’s were allowed in school. Occasionally the students would get away with listening to them in classes when the teacher allowed it. In the hallways, on the other hand, if an administrator caught us, it would be confiscated and we would have to suffer the repercussions.

     I agreed with the old policy for many reasons. In classes, the students often goof off and don’t do any sort of work. The students would sit around, talking to friends and listening to music before their work would be completed. In the hallways, I have been run over several times by students’ who are texting and deeply engrossed in their iPods. Also, if some kind of an emergency happens, the students listening to music may be so deeply engrossed that they will not realize that something terrible is happening. It may be too late by the time they get their head out of their music.

     Headphones have also been said to contribute to teenage hearing loss, according to sciencedaily.com. It isn’t rare that I am sitting next to somebody listening to their iPod and I can hear it too. Often times it is even loud enough for me to name the song and sing along. If it hurts my ears and I’m across the room, I can’t even imagine what torture you’re going through.

     Jackie Malboeuf, a sophomore at Nashua High School South commented, “It’s cool. I’m glad teachers are trusting us as students with a new privilege.” It is true; the teachers are giving the students a new privilege. Wait, but why? The students disobey just about every other rule this school has. In between classes, it isn’t rare to see a girl with a shirt that is hanging down a little too low, or a guy with his pants around his ankles. It bothers me that I can see 90% of guy’s butts’ during the day. Dozens of students get their hats taken away each day. I can’t even explain how many people I have seen texting during class while a teacher is trying to explain something. If we can’t obey these simple rules, how are we supposed to submit to a new, larger rule?

     Many students say they ‘focus better with music.’ For some, it is true, but for most, it is just a distraction. With the new policy, I believe that students will be more interested in music than doing their school work and getting an education. I will not be surprised if the grade average drops in the next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment